Saturday, March 7, 2009

Training at the Underground

Yesterday, my friend Dov and I were supposed to go to Zach Even Esh's Underground Strength Gym in Edison, NJ to observe him and his athletes.  Let me preface this by saying that the day before, we Farmer's walked 3 - lengths of ~30 yards with 228 pounds per hand, squatted (built up to 365 for a double), and did endless chinups and pullups.  (For the Farmer's walks, you have to deadlift to get the weight up and with 230 per hand it's no joke and then you have to walk with it.  It's crazy!) 

Well,  I thought I was going to be observing only.  I was mistaken!  When we got there, Zach asked us to train with the athletes, and I just could not say no.  I knew how hard I trained the day before, but, when you are in his gym, you just want to train!  We started out with Trap Bar deadlifts and this was the second time I ever did this exercise.  We were training in a group environment, so one lifter went after the other in a rotation.  It is awesome training in a group. Environment is everything!   I built up to 495 for a single and really had to grind it out and then I repped out 405 for 9 reps.  My whole body was on FIRE.   But the best part was other guys in the group were destroying 495 for sets of 3 to 5 while I was struggling to do 1 rep.  The weaker lifter always benefits from training with stronger guys.  
Then we went outside and used the sleds and prowler.  We were doing prowler sprints and forward and backward sled drags.  I had an insane lactic acid build up in my legs and could barely move.  It was incredible.  I spent the next hour observing Zach and his athletes training with a clinically insane nauseous feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment